The hand of God
This past saturday, Dena and I returned from Gulfport MS, tired from a long week of working in God's Katrina Kitchen. www.godskatrinakitchen.org
At the end of the week I think the approximate number of people we had served was a little over 3,000. My heart absolutely breaks for those people. Everyday we would see a lot of the same people coming through the lines and a lot of them were either homeless or living in the FEMA trailer park next to the kitchen. It was so cold while we were there and there were quite a few people that had been sleeping on the ground under tarps or whatever else they could find. Most people have no idea of the devastation down there that still remains. It will be several years before they are returned to a state anywhere near normalcy. I experienced a few people that were very ungrateful for the work we were doing and just generally unpleasant and while that was extremely annoying, there were those who made all the work and sweat worth it. One lady I remember, everyday, every meal would walk through the line and say thank you to each one of us serving and then say God bless, even though it wasn't her favorite food we were serving. I also had so many people tell me how great it was to just see my smile everyday. I think it just showed them that someone really does care about them. One afternoon we had an elderly lady come in and just looked kinda cranky and drawn, we served her food and she told us she needed help so we directed her to the office and turns out she just "needed Jesus" in her words. The kitchen's pastor sat down with her and she became a new christian! He said the change in her face was testament enough to her experience. I made so many new friends, some that were there as long term staff, some lived there, and others were just there for a short while like myself. I even got to see a change in myself. There were a couple long term staff there that I was not enjoying being around or taking orders from, (those of you that know me really well, know I hate being told what to do anyhow) but I just had a really nasty attitude towards these 2 ladies and one night I went to bed and just told God that I wanted to get along with them and be nice basically. The next day they started in just being typically crabby and bossy and after one of them had given me an order, I found myself saying "yes ma'am" and walking off to carry out the order and I was like where the heck did that come from?! but the next 2 days we got along great and I even got to liking them but it was such a great feeling to know that God answered my prayers, that I was able to overcome a huge fault in myself in order to better serve. Some may not think of preparing food and serving it, and washing dishes and cleaning tables a way to minister to people but one man pointed out that while we are on this earth we will never know the full ramifications of our actions. While my daily tasks of preparing and food, washing dishes, wiping down tables, taking out the trash, seemed somewhat small and meaningless, I hope in my heart that when I get to heaven someone will tap me on the shoulder and tell me that were touched by what they saw and that's why they are there. We can't possibly know who is watching us do what, or what it means to them. I'm pretty sure though that we will find out some day :)
There is much bitterness and hurt that came from Hurricane Katrina, but what is intended by evil to hurt, God turns it around to use it for a powerful good. Those people are no longer divided by class or status. Everyone of them lost everything. What better time than now for someone to put there arms around them and share with them about someone who can restore their lives, wipe away their tears, and comfort them. It is amazing to see every part of the body of Christ working in such a fashion, to hear testimonies of lives ripped apart and dreams lost only to be brought to the Lord, to see joy in the midst of sorrow. I can only let a tear of marvel slide down my cheek as I ponder and admire the most amazing thing ever. The hand of God.
At the end of the week I think the approximate number of people we had served was a little over 3,000. My heart absolutely breaks for those people. Everyday we would see a lot of the same people coming through the lines and a lot of them were either homeless or living in the FEMA trailer park next to the kitchen. It was so cold while we were there and there were quite a few people that had been sleeping on the ground under tarps or whatever else they could find. Most people have no idea of the devastation down there that still remains. It will be several years before they are returned to a state anywhere near normalcy. I experienced a few people that were very ungrateful for the work we were doing and just generally unpleasant and while that was extremely annoying, there were those who made all the work and sweat worth it. One lady I remember, everyday, every meal would walk through the line and say thank you to each one of us serving and then say God bless, even though it wasn't her favorite food we were serving. I also had so many people tell me how great it was to just see my smile everyday. I think it just showed them that someone really does care about them. One afternoon we had an elderly lady come in and just looked kinda cranky and drawn, we served her food and she told us she needed help so we directed her to the office and turns out she just "needed Jesus" in her words. The kitchen's pastor sat down with her and she became a new christian! He said the change in her face was testament enough to her experience. I made so many new friends, some that were there as long term staff, some lived there, and others were just there for a short while like myself. I even got to see a change in myself. There were a couple long term staff there that I was not enjoying being around or taking orders from, (those of you that know me really well, know I hate being told what to do anyhow) but I just had a really nasty attitude towards these 2 ladies and one night I went to bed and just told God that I wanted to get along with them and be nice basically. The next day they started in just being typically crabby and bossy and after one of them had given me an order, I found myself saying "yes ma'am" and walking off to carry out the order and I was like where the heck did that come from?! but the next 2 days we got along great and I even got to liking them but it was such a great feeling to know that God answered my prayers, that I was able to overcome a huge fault in myself in order to better serve. Some may not think of preparing food and serving it, and washing dishes and cleaning tables a way to minister to people but one man pointed out that while we are on this earth we will never know the full ramifications of our actions. While my daily tasks of preparing and food, washing dishes, wiping down tables, taking out the trash, seemed somewhat small and meaningless, I hope in my heart that when I get to heaven someone will tap me on the shoulder and tell me that were touched by what they saw and that's why they are there. We can't possibly know who is watching us do what, or what it means to them. I'm pretty sure though that we will find out some day :)
There is much bitterness and hurt that came from Hurricane Katrina, but what is intended by evil to hurt, God turns it around to use it for a powerful good. Those people are no longer divided by class or status. Everyone of them lost everything. What better time than now for someone to put there arms around them and share with them about someone who can restore their lives, wipe away their tears, and comfort them. It is amazing to see every part of the body of Christ working in such a fashion, to hear testimonies of lives ripped apart and dreams lost only to be brought to the Lord, to see joy in the midst of sorrow. I can only let a tear of marvel slide down my cheek as I ponder and admire the most amazing thing ever. The hand of God.


1 Comments:
At 9:17 PM ,
Dorothy said...
I couldn’t help but think of a song that Ray Boltz sang when I read your blog.
I dreamed I went to heaven. You were there with me. We walked along the streets of gold beside the crystal sea. We heard the angels singing, someone called your name. You turned and saw a young man.
He was smiling as he came.
He said, “Katie, you may not know me now.”
Then he said this, “you served some meals to me the winter of ’06.
Everyday I came through the line, your smile would brighten my day. I saw the love of Jesus in you and that’s why I’m here today.”
“Thank you for giving to the Lord. I am a life that was changed. Thank you for giving to the Lord. I am so glad you gave.”
One by one they came far as the eye could see. Each life somehow touched by your generosity. The little things that you had done, even ones that no one had seen.
Sacrifices made, like picking up the slack when someone else couldn’t be found even if it wasn’t “your job” at the time.
Giving respect to someone who was tired and maybe a little grumpy because they were just exhausted from the daily grind.
Showing honor and respect to those in authority even if you don’t agree with them.
Words fitly spoken are as apples of gold…Proverbs 25:11
We never really see the entire picture at any given time. We seldom know what someone’s “real” story is.
Loving when it would be easier to hate or just be crabby right back.
A soft answer turns away wrath…Proverbs 15:1
Giving just a little more when it would be easier to go sit down because we are tired.
A gentle touch.
A loving smile.
A kind word.
Do it as unto the Lord for it is Him that you are serving.
I believe you will hear the Lord say to you, “well done, Katie, my good and faithful servant”.
I thank God for you.
I am so blessed that He allowed me to have the privilege of having you as my daughter.
I love you Katie.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home