Pain and Passion

Monday, January 01, 2007

New Year, New Focus

After spending 3 weeks of December, out of state, I am finally back home... for awhile anyways. Nathan and I went back to MS the 16th - 21st, then I was home for 5 days and left for St. Louis to go to a missions conference. Got back today from that.
I cannot even begin to say all the things I am thinking or feeling right now. It is kind of overwhelming to spend a week with over 22,000 people.
There were people from 144 different countries, every state in the U.S., and every province in Canada. Every night we heard from mulitiple speakers, including Rick Warren and his wife, Bono, an incredible lady named Brenda Salter-McNeil, and several others. We sang worship songs in English, Spanish, Mandarin, Korean, Chinese, Hawaiian, and others. There dancers, rappers, a drama team, and the worship team was amazing!
It was so incredible to be able to experience "the church" in that way. Completely unhindered, diverse, and unified. It was beautiful. Several times when we all 22,000 were gathered in the evenings singing, the music would stop and all that could be heard was the voices echoing around. I always got goosebumps. It was so hauntingly beautiful. I can't wait for heaven!!
I went to 4 seminars and heard people from around the world breaking down topics relevant to my generation. I thought I was so grounded in my thoughts and beliefs and I was just so sure about what I wanted out of life. Now I am looking a little deeper. At areas I had "roped off", not wanting to go there.
I don't know what my future holds but I do know, that I am looking outside of my little farm town and backwoods way of life (that I still love dearly) out into the bigger parts of the world that I never considered.
People I feel like, have me somewhat stereotyped. That I will marry a rugged, local, farm boy, that is a good guy and will provide for his family, and then live happily ever after in my little town all nestled in while the world rolls on. No, that doesn't sound all that bad to me, but I am feeling a pull like I have never felt before. To open my eyes, to go, to discover, find out what "resisting the settle" is really all about.
The night Brenda spoke, I cried through most of her sermon. Her whole message was about doing what God calls us to regardless of what our friends and family says, regardless of our comfort zones.
I have always known my life is not my own. But am I willing to do whatever it takes? To step outside of the box people have put me in? To live a life worthy of the calling? To walk to the horizon's edge, and look beyond what I can see, to see what God does?
I am scared to death. And the answer is yes.

3 Comments:

  • At 8:14 PM , Blogger Jules said...

    well, while that Abercrombie card is tempting, I do want to really comment on your post. Do you have what it takes? Yes. We were given everything we need to "resist the settle" when we were created. Are you going to do what it takes? That's up to you. I'm right there with ya, sista' Do I have what it takes to see my vision of getting out of debt all the way through no matter what because that's what God's called me to do? I have what it takes, but will I do it? Um, yeah. I've ran too long and tried it for too long on my own, as have most of us. Let's go where He's leading. We can help each other along the way!

     
  • At 10:37 PM , Blogger Heather Mae said...

    I'm so glad that I got to hang out and experience this alongside you. Your rendition of the week is wonderful. Katie, you are a beautiful and inspiring woman, and I'm so happy God's decided to give us an opportunity to be friends. Love ya!

     
  • At 7:38 PM , Blogger Dorothy said...

    I know you have what it takes. I have always known you have a special annointing on your life. You may likely end up right here married to that farm boy but I know the journey in getting there will be amazing and far beyond what most of us will ever experience. Wherever God leads, as long as you are with Him, in His will...my prayers and support are with you baby girl.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home